Saturday, October 27, 2012

I’m Being Mary

temp
Yesterday, and most likely today, I’ve been Mary.  Oh, yes – I did cook breakfast, put a wonderful soup in the crockpot (if you like a thick soup with Italian flavors – recipe is right here), had leftovers from the night before for the guys to make sandwiches and promised them peace and quiet while we gals headed out. We spent the day indulging in a lot of shopping, a little buying, a tea-room/chick-meal lunch and a lot of getting acquainted general chit-chat that did include several conversation on biblical subjects and church events.
I sat beside my friends, my company and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Nobody was a Martha.

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luke 10:38-42 KJV)

No, I didn’t read that verse this morning and thought about combining it with yesterday. That story came to mind when I thought, “Wish I had a real dining room, with a nice table,” as I planned the meals for our guests. stay. But, I don’t.

This morning I was thinking about how much I enjoyed yesterday, then thought about how little Martha enjoyed Jesus’ visit to her home. I don’t think she envied Mary for the time she spent at Jesus’ feet listening, I think she wanted the effort she put forth for cooking to be appreciated.

It’s easy to get attention for oneself by pointing out the flaws in another. Some people do it by gossiping. The subject of the gossip gives the teller attention. Some do it by over-achieving. If they’re better, they draw attention from others.Some do it simply by being loud and interruptive, leaving others to either over-shout or simply walking away.

I give thanks for the Martha’s in my world.  They teach me how to do things carefully, but I decline to be troubled if presentation isn’t colorful or the centerpiece is simply salt, pepper and sugar containers. That’s most likely why I chose the two verses in my ‘logo’:

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Matthew 4:4 KJV)

and:

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. (John 6:35 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)