Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Having Nothing

harp_strings
Have you ever looked around to see that everyone – yes, every other person in the whole world – seems to have more?  Not that they all have everything, but each one has something that we either need, want or could put to good use. We see a lacking in our lives.

The media is filled with people losing jobs, losing homes, unable to provide. A family flees fire or flood, leaving their home to possible destruction. They saved valuable memories as well as their lives. Crops are failing in one spot because of drought, in another because of too much rain. Stories abound about those who have lost, but overcome.

We look toward our lack – and rejoice:

Although the fig tree shall not blossom,
neither shall fruit be in the vines;
the labour of the olive shall fail,
and the fields shall yield no meat;
the flock shall be cut off from the fold,
and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

Why?

The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments. (Habakkuk 3:17-19 KJV)

That alone is a wonderful thought – in spite of all we lack, we rejoice in the Lord.

But, I fell in love with the last line when I pictured God as the chief singer on my own, personal stringed instrument.  I know, I know – that’s not what Habakkuk was thinking when he wrote it.

I hear the touch of wind against leaves, creating music to match that of the birds on branches. The slap of raindrops on a variety of surfaces, echoing with thunder. The sound of waves against the shore, never ceasing, ever changing. The music God creates in nature soothes us, causing us to listen for that still, small voice.

I see God’s hands working in our lives, bringing forth beautiful music on the strings of our heart. Bringing from the stillness within us music we never thought of ourselves.  Yes, He is the chief singer, the creator of all that causes us to rejoice. 

Doesn’t matter what we lack, He provides what we need and enriches our lives with what He has created. 

We rejoice.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog. I love how you worded about God's hands working in our lives, bringing forth beautiful music on the strings of our heart.

    The Bible says so much about songs and singing .When I lose my joy I lose my song but God is able to lift me up out of the sinking sand of depression and put a NEW song in my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)