Sunday, September 9, 2012

Habits

temp
In 1956 I was introduced to a Royal typewriter, and the QWERTY keyboard. There were other keyboard layouts – such as this 1893 Blickensderfer typewriter:
keyboard
We own one, as do each of our children, as there is a distant family connection. But I couldn’t switch to using the Blick keyboard. I learned to touch type and my fingers seek out words without really spelling them. Up to two days ago I could type those words at 70 words a minute. Today, this has taken me fifteen minutes to get this far and my thumb aches. I do really give thanks for the ability to type, and I miss it.

You see, I type as I think. Right now that process is tooooo slow! How can I think and constantly go back to fix typos?

Of course, I can relate this to living a Christian life. When we love our Lord, read His word, fellowship with His children, we can move through the days of our lives comfortably at His side. When unrepented sin takes root, though, our relationship with God changes. We are not as comfortable in our walk. We stumble when we forget God.

Because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways from the ancient paths, to walk in paths, in a way not cast up; (Jeremiah 18:15 KJV)

Think that’s a stretch? My mind wanders like that.  When it does, I write what I think. Now, I can’t type as fast as I think, so it seems disjointed – at least to me. I beg Your patience over the next week or so as I heal.
 
Our Lord has patience with us, too, when we fail. He waits, as the prodigal’s father, for us to return and submit:

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. (James 4:7-8 KJV)

Draw nigh to God – make it a habit. Make it easy to keep God close by reading and hearing His word. That will keep His word, His love, His plan flowing through our lives.

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. (1 Peter 1:25 KJV)

My prayer is that my words will habitually direct people to His.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon. Things like this teach us just how much we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of the Blickensderfer keyboard layout until now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)