Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Cross In My Pocket!

CrossPocket
Isn’t that precious! I should have put something with it to indicate the size, but those who work with crafts know it’s small enough to carry in my shirt pocket.  It came with a poem attributed to C. Jeanette Bergin and came to me from Horbling, Lincolnshire, England.  It was a gift from a lady I’ve only met on the web. One who has been kind enough to share her family, humor, stories, photos and who has read most of what I’ve written. I’m not certain that’s a fair exchange, for her life is much more interesting than mine!

Mrs. G and I share a lot of things – a love of dogs, a joy in gardening, the love of our children, grandchildren (she’s much too young to consider great-grands!!) and family in general.  We are separated by an ocean, a generation, culture and yet we share. That’s a blessing brought by technology and communication.

We started off on the wrong foot – my tendency for concise (terse?) comments, and my site being protected from her response. We were able to communicate beyond that first stumble and we’ve both written “You’ve made me think.” For me, that’s been a blessing.

Here’s the poem that came with the lovely cross:

I carry a cross in my pocket,
A simple reminder to me
That I am a Christian,
No matter where I may be.
This little cross isn’t magic,
Nor is it a good luck charm.
It isn’t meant to protect me
From every physical harm.
It’s not for identification
For all the world to see.
It’s simply an understanding
Between my Savior and me.
When I put my hand in my pocket
To bring out a coin or a key,
The cross is there to remind me
Of the price He paid for me.
It reminds me too, to be thankful
For my blessings every day,
And to strive to serve Him better
In all that I do or say.

I particularly like the line “It’s not for identification for all the world to see” because it will be in my pocket, or in my purse. I won’t need to see it or touch it, but I’ll know it’s there. I know because I saw it once and considered its source, given in love, a reminder of love.

You see, that’s what my Lord is to me. No – I have not seen Him in physical form, but I have seen the love of those who know Him. I’ve considered the source – mostly the Bible, but also the lives of those who dedicated theirs in His service. My Lord, just as this small cross, was a gift of love:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Thank you Mrs. G, for the lovely gift but mostly for your friendship. You are loved.

3 comments:

  1. I got one of those this week also. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely post and I am so glad that you liked it. I hope that one day you may be able to visit and to see for yourself the church where they came from. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Phyllis,

    It is indeed a blessing to be united with someone far from home, that you've never met, yet close to your heart. A very kind and thoughtful gift.

    The poem is great! It reminds me of a similar poem which is written in my son's college diary. It's about the wooden cross they have in their courtyard.

    You know, I often think about the people behind the blogs who seem to own so many items (Christian gifts) and their always posting photographs of their material possessions. They have crosses of all shapes and sizes, which adorn their walls, they stick them on the fridge, they have key rings, bookmarks and crosses to wear around their necks, they have vases and dinnerware with Scripture references. Wall hangings... the list seems endless.

    I also like the line you pointed out, "It's not for identification for all the world to see."

    I am reminded of my Aunt. She is now aged eighty-eight. She is a Christian, she has been since a very young age. She isn't wealthy and in her home she has the basics; things we need for day to day living. But never ever has her home decor been centred around all the Christian things you seem to be able to buy today. Her focus was on Jesus, not on objects. She didn't have to advertise in her home that she was a Christian. She didn't have to advertise she was a Christian out in public. She didn't even like necklaces with crosses. However, one thing for sure and certain, everyone who knows her knows her deep love for the Lord. She lives her life as a Christian should. Her actions speak louder than an ornament. She serves the Lord with joy, unconditionally!

    Having a house full of Christian items does not guarantee a person eternal life. Having an ongoing personal relationship with Jesus does.

    So that's why I agree with you, and like the poem.

    Have a blessed day. Love, Kerrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)