Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So Much!!

temp
When I’m in services, I’m taking notes.  There is just so much information given during the sermons – and I have a tendency to read beyond the given scriptures.  Just down the page, or up a little bit. I keep a bit of paper available.  Unfortunately, I can’t read my writing in some instances!

From Sunday night, I found notes referring to John 15:12, Acts 1:2, Isaiah 6:8-10, Psalm 119:2-3 and a short note regarding laborers in V38. Those full verse references all are good and I could write a blog starting with anyone one of them, but the lonely V38 held my attention.

Sure – Psalm 119 has a verse 38, but it doesn’t reference laborers. The others I wrote down don’t have a verse 38. Obviously, I missed writing something down, didn’t I? I missed the initial reference the missionary to Guyana gave us as he presented a sermon about our testimony, our witness and our service (I mentioned all of that in yesterday’s blog, remember?)

I am grateful for e-Sword on my laptop.  A search for “labourer” (see, I remembered the English spelling) gave me Matthew’s 9th chapter. The missionary began before V38:

And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. (Matthew 9:35 KJV)

Jesus was doing God’s will. This verse speaks of the full three years of His ministry, and we are called to follow Him.  We may not go about all the cities and villages, but we can certainly support those who do, we can teach and share the gospel of the kingdom.  Some of us can help in healing physical health, but we all can speak of healing spiritual health. Do we do what Jesus did next?

But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. (Matthew 9:36 KJV)

Do we have compassion for those who are fainting from exhaustion and fear?  Do we go looking for those who are scattered abroad and speak to them of the Good Shepherd? Do we recognize the fields laid out before us?

Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; (Matthew 9:37 KJV)

No matter if we are unable to do any of the above traveling, teaching healing, we can, without ceasing, follow that verse I searched and found:

Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. (Matthew 9:38 KJV)

Accept a challenge, select a missionary or mission field and make a commitment to them now to do as Samuel told Israel:

I will pray for you unto the LORD. (1 Samuel 7:5 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. amen, we certainly need to pray one for another, I feel exhausted many times and if it were not for the prayers of my friends and family I would die I am sure, thank for this devotion, like you I read lots too up and down some time even look up other scriptures, have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)