Monday, April 16, 2012

Revival

FBCCsentfrom
That’s the center of our bulletin from Sunday morning. Now, lots of churches hold revivals, usually bringing in an evangelist to restore a sense of energy, grow activity and generally create a sense of renewal. We’re doing it a bit differently.

Yes, we’re bringing in a preacher from another church, but he was previously our Youth Minister before taking his own church in Alabama. His wife was a member of our church while growing up, too, active in music ministry – a good use for her voice.  And, he’s not the only one returning.

The other photos contain at least one person who was a member of our church during their youth, dedicated their life to the Lord’s service, then went on to Bible college. Four preachers and three preachers’ wives moved on from our congregation to work in other churches. That’s a pretty good average – especially when you consider there are others who were not available to return this week.

However good it will be to visit with these former members of our church family; no matter how good the sermons are; even listening closely to them – none of that will revive our congregation.  We know that has to come from the Lord, at our request with our hearts and minds focused on Him.

Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? (Psalms 85:6 KJV)

If we’re not rejoicing in our knowledge of our Lord, we sure do need to be revived!

I want to make this verse my own theme during the services:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10 KJV)

You see, I realize how short of the goal my actions remain. Paul explained it quite well:

For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:19 KJV)

My failure comes because I don’t practice what I believe:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:37-40 KJV)

So, I need to have my spirit renewed similar to having my body renewed by taking in sustenance.  Just as we can’t go for long with out nourishment for our bodies, neither can we neglect our spiritual needs.

What better way to do that than with the fellowship of people we know and love.  If you’re in the area, please join us (click on the graphic for website and directions.) If you can’t join us, please pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)