Sunday, April 29, 2012

Overwhelmed

Asilomar_State_Beach_(Breaking_wave)overwhelmed
Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (Psalms 61:1-2 KJV)

The psalms of David hold such comfort! His heart opened in them and we know when he was sad, when he was lonely and here we know he was overwhelmed, seeking comfort in the Lord.

My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me. Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. (Psalms 55:4-6 KJV)

There are fears and terrors we see when we look forward, but not when we’re looking to God for answers, though for a time it may seem He is not there when at first we look.

I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah. … Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more? Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore? Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah. (Psalms 77:3, 7-9 KJV)

We do know the things we’ve done that would anger those around us – and we know what would anger God, allowing our wrong doing to keep us separated from His love.

One Psalm is set aside specifically for us when we are overwhelmed:

A Prayer of the afflicted, when he is overwhelmed, and poureth out his complaint before the LORD. Hear my prayer, O LORD, and let my cry come unto thee. Hide not thy face from me in the day when I am in trouble; incline thine ear unto me: in the day when I call answer me speedily. (Psalms 102:1-2 KJV)

When David was hiding in a cave and King Saul was certain to find him, he wrote:

Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave. I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication. I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me. I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me. (Psalms 142:1-7 KJV)

Truly, Lord, attend my cry, for I am brought very low. Answer me speedily.  Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post... I so love the Psalms and have received so much encouragement from them over the years. I don't know if you have read any of Warren W Wiersbe's books but he has written one called Prayer, Praise and Promises. I highly recommend it.

    P.s. Found you via Morning Cuppas with Glenys.

    Become a follower too :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)