Thursday, May 26, 2011

Psalm 66

Yosemite_22_bg_090404
Come and see the works of God: (Psalms 66:5a KJV)
Psalm 66 was Pastor’s reference Wednesday night.  Two things struck me in verses.  First, repeating is just fine.  Having posted a ‘repeat’ yesterday, a bit of my heart ached because I didn’t take time to write a blog as usual.  But, in my defense, it was a very full day and we had a wonderful time with Ohio Brother and Sister-in-law, who will be Obil and Osil for the time being.

But tonight when we read that first verse, I realized repeating was quite in order.  I’ve read that ‘joyful noise’ phrase before:

Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:  (Psalms 66:1 KJV)

Out of the 150 Psalms, David was quite repetitive, using that phrase again and again:

Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.  (Psalms 81:1 KJV)

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. (Psalms 95:1-2 KJV)

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.  (Psalms 98:4 KJV)

With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King. (Psalms 98:6 KJV)

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. (Psalms 100:1 KJV)

There are other examples of repetition, and I’ll be touching on those in the future.  But there is another verse that touched my heart tonight:

Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul. (Psalms 66:16 KJV)

Oh, yes – please allow me to declare what God has done for my soul!  The peace He provides in the most heart breaking situations is unbelievable.  I know it is because there are non-believers who have heard all about it and it has not touched there lives.  Sorry about that, but that peace walked me through my Mom’s years with ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease.  It held me in prayer through my son’s years of unbelief and rejoiced with angels when he found that same peace for his life.

It provided comfort at the loss of our five-year-old nephew, who died at home, in his sleep.  Comfort at the loss of my parents, too, providing me verses to confirm we’ll meet again in the home God has provided for all who come to Him.

All this, and more, has He done for my soul.  And – I am not alone. There will be so many of His children who will declare the same. Listen to them, and:

Hear ye the word of the LORD; (Ezekiel 13:2b KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)