Friday, May 20, 2011

Daily Bible Reading

TenComm
Over the years I’ve read the Bible through.  This year, starting a couple of months ago, I’m reading through chronologically and I’ve just finished Exodus and am now in Leviticus.

I must admit that reading of God’s giving of the commandments is compelling.  Only four for our relationship to Him, caring more for our relationship to our fellow man.  Of course, most of us ignore both categories.  But today’s blog isn’t to cover those commandments. Today I speak of – boredom.

I am so sorry, but the design for the tabernacle, the dimensions of the ark, the making of them, the priest’s clothing, the specifics of the different sacrifice – these are not easily converted into lessons that apply to daily life.  There are so many details that are no longer being used by Jews or gentiles.

I did find an interesting wording, though:

Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD, ye shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock.  (Leviticus 1:2 KJV)

If any man of you bring an offering …”  That’s not a commandment.  That’s God’s understanding that some men will love Him enough to want to bring Him an offering.  They will want to return to Him a portion of the blessings they have received, recognizing what flows from Him.

Specific definitions are given elsewhere throughout the Bible, but here there’s an “If” telling us it’s not always going to happen.  There will be people who do not bring any offering.  There are people who do not think about offering the Lord any portion of their lives.  People had been making offerings to Him for all generations before this, and continue to do so today.

What offering does God require?  Micah asked that very question:

Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?  (Micah 6:7 KJV)

David knew much earlier who owned those thousands of rams or ten thousands rivers of oil:

I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he goats out of thy folds. For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. (Psalms 50:9-10 KJV)

Frankly, I don’t have a thousand hills, just a small one.  We do have cattle, four head.  How many belong to God?  All of them.  Just as I do, for my faith and trust is in His ability to keep His word.  According to Daniel, John and Jesus, portions of what He has planned for us remain untold.  According to me, portions of what has been told are a bit boring – but I will not ignore the word of God.

Have you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)