Friday, April 1, 2011

I have found Him!

Synagogue
There was more to the "Satisfied" hymn I mentioned yesterday – here’s the chorus, repeated after each verse:

Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings;
Through His life I now am saved.
Lyrics by Clara T. Williams, music by Ralph E. Hudson.

I believe each one of those lines -- I have found Him to be available to those seeking Him; He has filled the empty spots in my life that left me wondering about the value and reason for existence; and, He provided the salvation I enjoy to day.

I like the photo above where He is speaking in the synagogue. According to Luke 4:16-17, it was His custom in Nazareth to not only be in the synagogue on the sabbath, but to read.  He was handed the book of the prophet Esaias/Isaiah, opened it and began reading:

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; (Isaiah 61:1-2 KJV)

From the Greek, the New Testament reads:

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:18-19 KJV)

When He closed the book, handed it to the minister, He sat down.  Apparently the attendees wanted more, for Luke tells us their eyes were upon Him.

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. (Luke 4:21 KJV)

He just told them that God had appointed him to all of those things in Isaiah 61:1.  The Spirit of the Lord was in Him, had descended upon Him at his baptism where the voice of God told the world:

And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. (Luke 3:22 KJV)

After reading, questioning, researching, studying, I do believe that the prophecies of the Old Testament have been, as Jesus said, fulfilled -- in Him.  There is more to come.  There will be a completion of remaining prophecy.  In the meantime, I'll follow the words of those who knew Him:

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:31 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)