Monday, March 14, 2011

So late today!

MilkyWay_behind_Tree
When I looked for a graphic to illustrate how behind I felt, I found this one showing the Milky Way behind a tree.  Looking at it, I can understand how some believe the universe is too large to contain a Creator interested in this third planet circling a smaller star.  I’ve read some comments on news sites written by people making fun of others posting prayerful thoughts for the Japanese.

The God I worship is sufficient to have created the universe, and whatever is beyond it.  He is sufficient, also, to be interested in His creation.  He is omniscient and omnipotent.  He is both capable of causing and of stopping waves, of water or rock.  He is also capable of creating a world that contains physical conditions that to not require His moment-to-moment oversight, though those conditions might be damaging.

His Son addressed such tragic events.

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? (Luke 13:1-4 KJV)

Maybe that’s why I could not write a daily thought, for mine were so in turmoil.  The devastation in Japan is so overwhelming, and it goes on and on with new shocks and fears.  And I received word that one single individual, living here in relative comfort, now in the ER, too early really to be having the contractions she is.  Compound that with her inability to lower her blood sugar, and I spend as much time praying for her and her son as I do for an entire country.

As I do, I express gratitude that He is capable, and I do not have to be. I can run behind during a day and the world continues turning as it has before.  Is that what non-believers see?  That we can find comfort when the world literally shakes beneath our feet?  When we can believe in a God capable of creating so much more than one small world?  Yet also believe He cares.  And tells us so:

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! (Matthew 23:37 KJV)

I shall always be running behind, feeling as though there are many things left undone, even when I follow Jilly’s useful 30 minute process. But I shall never be too far behind Him.  He came for me.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)