Friday, March 18, 2011

DIY

DIYCat
The lead to the devotional read “Don’t be a do-it-yourself Christian.”  I had never thought of it like that, but we all try to be at some time or another. With as much success as the DIY cat working on a computer.
Perhaps we think God is too busy to pay attention to us, so we’ll do it ourselves.  Or we think our problem is to small and He wouldn’t be interested because of that.  Or, foolish thought, we didn’t want it to come to His attention.  If we take care of it, the whole thing will go away.

None of those are valid, and we really know it, don’t we. 

But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. (Matthew 10:30 KJV)

For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalms 139:13-14 KJV)

He has plans for us.  Sometimes we don’t follow through, though.  Paul didn’t.  He witnessed Christ’s ministry.  Instead of following, he happily participated in persecuting those who did.  Jesus understood and confronted him:

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. (Acts 9:5 KJV)

Paul had been well schooled, in Acts 22:3 Paul tells us that Gamaliel was his teacher.  The same Gamaliel who advised caution when dealing with Christ’s followers:

And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God. (Acts 5:38-39 KJV)

Paul ignored that counsel and sought to do it himself, and found himself standing fighting against God.  I personally thank God that I have not found myself standing before Jesus and having to answer for my actions. 

Oh, I will one day, down to every idle word (Matthew 12:36) I’ve misspoken.  I can’t fix that myself anymore than any other person. So, it’s down on my knees in prayer, giving thanks that He has already taken care of that!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grammy Blick -

    Thank you for this wise message.

    Especially, I love this that you expressed, "... that my soul knoweth right well.

    And "...But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it;..."

    That scripture passage has been one of my favorites for years.

    Glory to GOD - there is nothing like His pure Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I don't even realize that "I" am trying to do it all. It's so easy to just see something that needs to be done and start in without praying about it, or like you said, thinking we can do it, God doesn't want to worry with such small things. I have worn myself out many times doing things my way! Thank God he is patient with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)