Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Do We Tremble?

My phone gives up on me. I set reminders to help schedule my days, the phone responds exactly as programmed and I ignore the reminder until it is convenient for me. Often the phone has stopped dinging, the display has returned to the home display and I must search to find what I should have seen when reminded.

I am concerned that some people I care about are looking for a convenient time. Felix did.

And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. (Acts 24:24-25 KJV)

Felix ceased to tremble, seeking instead material wealth.

He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him. But after two years Porcius Festus came into Felix' room: and Felix, willing to shew the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound. (Acts 24:26-27 KJV)

So Felix exits without answering the reminder sent to him, and Festus offers Paul the opportunity to be tried by Jews in Jerusalem. Turning it down as a freeborn Roman citizen, Paul appealed to Caesar. This brought him to Agrippa’s attention. Amazing that Agrippa listened to the entire story of Paul’s conversion. We are not told that he trembled, yet he was impressed.

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28 KJV)

Both of these men received the reminder that God places a decision before all men. The message was well delivered, understood, then deferred.

Eventually the reminders stop. God accepts our decision to ignore Him. Life continues to the inevitable conclusion, we know not when. The same choice was laid out millennia before, just as it is before mankind today.

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. (Joshua 24:15 KJV)

Felix trembled. Do we tremble and ignore, or do we love and serve?

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:19 KJV)

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: (Isaiah 55:6 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Grammy, I loved your post as usual! Of course it made me sad. Not because there was anything wrong with it but because I am hurt about my brother. You said, "God accepts our decision to ignore Him." That is so true and so sad. My brother is gay. Not just gay, but really gay. I fear he has ignored our Lord for way too long. I pray so very much and yet nothing... :( Yet I will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)