Saturday, January 30, 2010

Draw Near

Draw near to God. The Bible tells us it is good to do so:

But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works. (Psalms 73:28 KJV)

My favorite hymnist, Fanny Crosby, knew about drawing near to God, as she wrote the chorus:

Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.

Each stanza speaks my heart’s emotions and beliefs:

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow’r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend!

There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.


Fanny never saw the choirs that sang her songs, but she heard them. She heard the echoes of her heart as I hear them now. We sing of God’s love and His grace. We sing of the pure delight of knowing Him as our Lord, our God and our salvation.

Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding. (Psalms 47:6-7 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Grammy Blick, I stumbled across your blog by chance, but am now following it.

    The words to Crosby's hymn above reminds me of what someone said to me last week: "I wake up each morning and pray that the Lord will use me to do his will--whatever that may be." It takes a lot of trust to give yourself over completely to the Lord--to not only pray for blessings, but to commit to doing whatever it takes. "Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord, . . ."

    Peace,

    Cheryl Allison
    1189 Chapters in 1189 Days
    http://www.1189days.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)