Thursday, January 7, 2010

All To Christ

Carl August Jung (1875-1961) wrote a book my sister gave to me. I wasn’t familiar with his work, though I had heard his name in connection with psychiatry. It wasn’t until recently I learned of the thread of a connection he had with Alcoholics Anonymous. It wasn’t a direct connection. Jung belonged to the Oxford Group, as did an acquaintance of Bill W.’s. It was in response to a question regarding this thread that Jung is recorded in Volume 18 of his Collected Works as saying, “I can’t do it better than Jesus.”

I know an alcoholic who would agree with that statement.

He had been through rehab, was making changes in his life, carried tokens of sobriety from AA, working through twelve steps, when he visited a local church. He had not been raised in a church, but his daughter had been invited during a bus visit and the family began to attend.

One day he spent time talking with the pastor, about his alcoholism and the twelve-step program. The pastor’s response was along the lines of, “I don’t know about twelve steps, but I do know of one – turn your all to Jesus Christ.” He did.

It does not appear to be easy for us to say to the Lord, as did the Samaritan woman:

She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. (John 11:27 KJV)

Some come to Him upon learning of Him:

And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (Acts 8:36-37 KJV)

Others are not persuaded by the truth:

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28 KJV)

It is necessary to wholeheartedly choose Christ:

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20 KJV)

It’s a personal commitment. The first few chapters of the book of Revelation tell us that churches do not save us - Christ is the salvation. Some churches stand in the way.

I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. (Revelation 2:2-4 KJV)

The Lord must be our first love.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. (Mark 12:30 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)