Thursday, April 2, 2009

What God Can Do

Do you get tired of waiting for prayers to be answered? John 11:1-46

Do you reach the point, that Martha did, where you knew it was too late? Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. (John 11:21)

The sisters had sent word to Jesus much earlier. Even when He received the word, He tarried another two days. John makes no mention of a message in return. The worried sisters received no response from the one person they believed would make a difference.

Surely, we’re the same. We know what the situation is, we know (for the most part) what needs to be done, we’ve asked the Lord for help. And there is no response.

But He tells us to pray. He gave us the example for prayer. He told us if we ask, we shall receive. If we seek, we shall find. But there is no response.

When He tells the disciples Lazarus is dead, I doubt they believed Him. They were aware: Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus. (John 11:5)

Right after they are told Lazarus is dead, Jesus tells them He’s glad. Glad?!?!?

And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him. (John 11:15)

How better to prove to all that the power Christ has is not limited. We cannot conceive of His abilities. Only He can show us, and only He determines how much we are to know.

I do not understand why we attempt to limit him, as Martha did, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

Jesus proved her wrong by answering her desires, not her request. She knew what she believed: Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. (John 11:24-27)

He knew what He could do: And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, (John 11:42-44a)

Do not place limits. Let Him do as He will in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)