Monday, April 27, 2009

Sumitted?

Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (Ephesians 5:21-25 KJV)

Context is so important when reading scripture.

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; (Colossians 3:17-23 KJV)

You see, by some men's standards, I would not qualify as a wife who submits to her husband simply because I do not submit to all men. I am respectful, but if there is a subject under discussion, most likely I have an opinion. I do share my opinions.

My pastor and I view some scripture differently. I am not afraid to discuss these differences with him, with great respect for his educational focus on Bible study. Our youth pastor is well versed in scriptures, too. We both learn from our discussions. Both of these men hold my respect -- first because of their commitment to God's calling in their lives. What they have chosen has awesome responsibilities for other's eternal lives.

Yet, when it comes to my own husband, I open more in discussions. I expect that he will be able to explain. And, he does -- just as Christ explained His public parables in private to his disciples. That, to me, is an expression of love.

For some men, a question constitutes a lack of submission. I am so grateful that it was not so with Christ. Thus I feel my husband does love me as Christ loves the church. That is an awesome example of how much love God has to give His children. And, an awesome responsibility to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)