Monday, August 4, 2008

Young Man

For just a moment I see him as I did the first time. Thirteen, hair longer than I’m used to. As I gave a hug to one of my Sunday School girls and told her how much I enjoyed seeing her, he asked “Aren’t you glad to see me?”

So I took a second look and confirmed that, yes, I was glad to see all of our youth, but I didn’t know his name. He took pains to be certain I got it right, and I’ve never forgotten his name. I cannot possibly forget him.

I’ve heard him speak in public, and he does it very well. I’ve heard him witness to others, and he does that very well, too. I’ve seen him baptized, and openly live the life he’s chosen to give our Lord. It is a blessing to be around him.

Sunday mornings he comes up to adults, shaking hands and asking after their health, their family, their plans for the coming week.

Yes, I’m glad to see him – Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, Wednesday nights, throughout Vacation Bible School. I’m glad to see him at work, I’m glad to see him at play. I’m glad to see him set an example for the younger boys who look up to him. I’m glad to see him with his brother and with his little sister. He loves, and he shows it.

I see him as Paul saw Timothy: If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained. (1 Timothy 4:6 KJV)

Although this young man has given his life to Christ, he has not indicated a call to dedicate his life to work as a minister – yet that is how I see him now. Do I know what he does not yet? Only time will tell.

There have been teachers over the years that believed one of their students were called to His service – and they did not. Some left their beliefs and turned away from His service. Were we wrong to think so? Or did they fail to believe that when they held their peace God would provide another? Do they look around to see who took their place? Who witnessed to the lost in their place? There are times that I do.

I shall pray for this young man over the coming years. I shall be available to him as an example, myself. I shall enjoy his company and read scriptures to him, such as:

Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. (1 Timothy 4:15-16 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)