Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Please, pray with me.

And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. (Matthew 14:23 KJV)

Often, our Lord prayed alone.

Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:36-39 KJV)

Once, He prayed for something that He knew would not come to pass. Yet, as He had taught His disciples to pray, He asked that God's will be done.

And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; (Luke 18:1 KJV)

He taught us in parables to PUSH - pray, until something happens.

Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be? (Matthew 26:53-54 KJV)

He declined to test God when it came to fulfilling scripture, though He knew He could change the outcome.

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (John 14:16 KJV)

He prayed for us, that we might be comforted, and because we are His.

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. (John 17:9 KJV) Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; (John 17:20 KJV)

My own prayer list is a bit long right now. A young boy being treated for brain cancer; a teenager without the stability of a home; a grandmother living with physical pain that is being treated; college students leaving home for school; a pastor facing civil trial; a mother awaiting EGD results; a prodigal, apostate without faith, but missing that which was lost.

You may or may not know them, but I ask that you join us in prayer -- for my list, just as I join with you for yours. For we are promised:

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:26 KJV)

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16 KJV)

We are also taught when to pray: Pray without ceasing. (1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)