Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ignorant

I recently read a forum post – in a Christian bulletin board -- where an atheist expressed his belief that Christians are similar to drug dealers. He wrote, “You sound like a drug-dealer, except it's ignorance you're selling.” In response, the Christian stated he was not selling, instead: "I'm just telling you that the gift is there for you to take." The atheist responded, “… yes, you are trying to sell something because ignorance comes at a cost.”

With a part of that, I agree. Ignorance costs.

Living in this world requires knowledge. Yet no individual can “know it all.” I depend on others. I do not do it for myself. I depend on someone to create medicines that impact my health. I cannot do it for myself. The list is endless, for new products are created daily in our society. I am dependent on news sources. I cannot cover world events. I depend on educators. I cannot self-educate sufficiently to provide an income to support myself.

I dare not ignore available education. Ignorance does come at a cost. I must know if the products are suitable for my needs. I must know if the medicine is correct for my health. I must discern if the news is valid or inflammatory, believable or lies. I must be able to create and build a career.

When I read:

For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. (1 Corinthians 15:16-19 KJV)

I must be able to discern if the message is complete and valid. I must educate myself as to who wrote this, when it was written, how it was received at the time and how it has been treated since it was written. I must know, for my eternity depends on knowing. Ignorance comes at a cost. An eternal cost.

But by the grace of God I am what I am: (1 Corinthians 15:10 KJV) and what I am is a child of God.

Others look upon this as being "servile", with "a loathing for mankind". I look upon it as acknowledging the presence of God. The One who loves mankind, and commands that his followers do so, too. For that, I rejoice and am exceedingly glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)