Friday, May 23, 2008

"Come Unto Me"

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in hearr: and ye shall find est unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11::28-30 KJV)

Our hymnbooks contain the Charles P. Jones poetry inspired by those verses, Come Unto Me:

Hear the blessed Savior calling the oppressed,

"Oh, ye heavy-laden, come to Me and rest;

Come, no longer tarry, I your load will bear,

Bring Me every burden, bring Me every care."

Refrain:

Come unto Me, I will give you rest;

Take My yoke upon you, hear Me and be blest;

I am meek and lowly, come and trust My might;

Come, My yoke is easy, and My burden's light.

Are you disappointed, wand'ring here and there,

Dragging chains of doubt and loaded down with care?

Do unholy feelings struggle in your breast?

Bring your case to Jesus-He will give you rest.

Stumbling on the mountains dark with sin and shame,

Stumbling toward the pit of hell's consuming flame;

By the pow'rs of sin deluded and oppressed,

Hear the tender Shepherd, "Come to Me and rest."

Have you by temptation often conquered been,

Has a sense of weakness brought distress within?

Christ will sanctify you, if you'll claim His best;

In the Holy Spirit, He will give you rest.

"Come unto me" calls to my soul when I hear it from the voices in our congregation. There are times for each of us when we do labor and are heavy laden. It seems strange to hear Him speak of giving rest while we're taking on a yoke and His burden.

Yet that is the result of trusting in Him. He is meek, yet mighty; we exchange our load for His, and we are lightened. Knowing this, we can pray for each other, fulfilling the law of Christ. Many of you know that I pray specifically for you.

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. I see you're another 360 refugee! Is that how you found my site? I think the posting of comments is a little awkward here, but if you would like to make it easier, my great-niece Kathryn (see link to her blog on my site) has managed to adapt another piece of comment software - disqus - to hers & her mother's site. Older comments still show up under the google format. One thing I do like about this software is the freedom you can allow for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)