Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I owe readers an explanation . . .

Isaiah40_29-31
The weeks following our vacation have been difficult and I’ve neglected posting here, so I'll close the month with this explanation:

My beloved husband has been in outpatient four times – two where his graft failed and two for his plasmapheresis treatments plus in the hospital twice for thrombectomies – removal of blood clots from the graft – and about one doctor’s appointment each week since our return. Another graft failure today.

June is Myasthenia Gravis awareness month. I’ve posted each week in Facebook, but haven’t taken the time here – it does take longer to post here because it’s not just off the top of my head, which is the way my FB posts usually are typed (and at times deleted because I did not research and verify as I do here.)

I’d love to post here that my Beloved Husband was miraculously cured of MG, but pragmatism tells me that’s unlikely. He is not alone and we are blessed by his treatments keeping him functionally healthy. Others are not so lucky and are praying earnestly for miracles.

Five years ago our church was praying for such a miraculous cure that did not happen, and the patient’s husband wrote “If God Does Not Heal.”

One of the verses he included helped him then and us now:

But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. (Luke 4:25-27)

Biblical miracles did not include all of the sick or needy at any given time. There were specific incidents that glorified God while helping someone. They are examples, lessons for us. One we tend to overlook are three young Israelites who witnessed their faith to a king:

If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. (Daniel 3:17-18)

Trusting that God is able to deliver under any circumstances – but if He doesn’t deliver as we asked or expected, that does not change Him and should not change us.

Just as I would like for people to be aware of Myasthenia Gravis, I would like for them to be aware of God and His relationship with mankind. I can only do this by what He’s done in my life – no miracles, but a daily walk that increases my joy of life.

Even in sorrow, even in concerns regarding our future, I am comfortable in the hope taught through the Bible. Thus, I would follow Peter’s admonition:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15)

And, I can agree with the husband’s close, though healing was not coming:
I know that God is able to deliver her. But if not, bless the name of the Lord, because in all things, God is, and will always be, sovereign
A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: (Psalms 103:1-2)

1 comment:

  1. I was vaguely aware from FB that this month had not been a good one for you. I had not realised the full extent though. I am so sorry and want you to know that whilst I am not good at keeping in touch, you are always in my thoughts. I have several family members and friends holding you both in prayer. I send you healing and peaceful thoughts. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)