Thursday, April 9, 2015

Without A Nap

temp

Long time readers might recognize this as a Great Pyrenees – not the one we had years ago, but the same breed. Dogtime.com tells us what I’ve seen in action

The Great Pyrenees dog breed's goal in life is to protect sheep, goats, livestock, people, children, grass, flowers, the moon, the lawn furniture, bird feeders, and any real or imaginary predators that may intrude on your personal space. Oh yeah, and to give, give, and give unconditional love.

Yesterday was plasmapheresis for David. It’s early rising and a long drive into Fort Worth to the hospital followed by several hours of processing and the same drive home. Our treat is both breakfast and lunch out, followed by a nap. For him, the process is exhaustive. For some reason, I was just as exhausted. When we arrived home, there was a Great Pyrenees pup waiting for us on the patio. Not ours, of course, but a gorgeous, friendly half-grown pup full of vitality and wanting to make friends. We went down for a nap instead.

I woke to yelping and the cats running to the door. The pup was in our dog pen. I sent a text to Second daughter who answered he was there until the owner came for him. Not long later, I was again awakened by a terrified yelping. The owner was there, had a leash on the dog’s neck and was dragging the uncooperative pup, who resented that, loudly.

His name was Chuck and he was acquired to keep an older Pyrenees (Charles) company and learned from him. He had never had a collar on before. The only training was what Charles had given.

My interrupted naps left me totally unrefreshed, and thinking about:

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (Deuteronomy 6:4-7 KJV)

I did not do this for my children. Oh, I professed to love the Lord my God – but not enough to be in His house to worship each week. And, I had Bible in the house, read verses with my children – but not each and every day, nor were they discussed when we sat in the house, walked along the way. We did not pray together every night nor rise rejoicing in the day the Lord had made for us.

Yet, as the pup’s owner, I expected it to happen simply through osmosis. I was so wrong, and I am so grateful that God saw to it they were given the correct witness and desire to find Him on their own. How better it would have been for them to have seen this in my own life – better for me.

Be prepared for questions that may require research and viewpoint shifts, but never delegate the teaching. It will make a world of difference.

2 comments:

  1. I really found this post intriguing and as always the things you give me to think about each day never cease to astound me. I am so thankful for your blog and the information and understanding of the Bible it gives me.

    Sumshine~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sunshine! You always brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)