Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Vertigo Lessons

temp
I have not given my daughter enough sympathy during her bouts with vertigo.  Yes – she has had more than one. I had one last Thursday morning – and I wish to never have another one.  I did learn a lot about a cause, though.

Sometimes it is Benign Paroxysmal Positioning Vertigo (BPPV). But, sometimes it is something else entirely – and can be worse – including simply getting older (though getting older is a good thing!)

There are some things that can be done – especially when the patient (me) could not suppress the nausea sufficiently to get to the car, much less anticipate a 25 mile drive to the ER – my doctor was out of town and his office was leaving messages. Especially when there was a house full of visitors. One was my sister, whose friend had a similar attack and had good responses to the Epley Maneuver.

My doctor did call back, suggesting across-the-counter mecilizine, which I will testify does impair thinking – it puts me to sleep. As simple to take as a child’s chewable aspirin, it didn’t take long to put me to sleep – but before it did, I was aware of conversations around me yet unable to respond. Not a nice feeling – but lots better than nausea!!

Sunday I was discussing with a nurse what was meant by a “few days” – the number of days I was told to “take it easy and not make quick movements.” I wanted to go to church, but still felt light headed. She said she couldn’t tell me not to go, but asked that I consider how many times I would sit down/get up, be in crowds, turn my head to talk to someone, what would happen if I fell – and I realized how much better it would be for me to wait.

Sunday was a lead-in to our church’s 60th anniversary. Sunday evening’s services were held  at the Cottondale Community Center, where services were held 1955-1956, before the first church building was started. That building was eventually moved to Chico, Texas, when our new building was completed – and next Sunday evening services will be held in Chico.

I felt bad about missing this special service, but I would have been a mild distraction as people asked about my health, and a detrimental distraction if I had fallen or had a recurrence. I do not wish to be a stumbling block for anyone – especially for my readers.

Vertigo was a word I knew, but nothing I had experienced. I needed help in acquiring knowledge how best to work through it, and I needed to heed the advice given. I was as new to vertigo as anyone unacquainted with Jesus as their personal Lord and savior.

Getting to know Him takes acquiring knowledge and heeding advice from someone who knows Him well. Being discipled by an actively practicing Christian is the best way to work through the Bible and acquire knowledge. Personal prayer and Bible study is good, but it’s so much better to have someone share their own experiences.

Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.  (James 3:13 KJV)

It is not a question of arguments nor debates. It is a communication between people who love God, wish to do His will and seek a closer relationship. Strife is not good:

But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace. (James 3:14-18 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)