Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Name

temp
Take the name of Jesus with you
Love those lyrics!
Precious name! Oh, how sweet!
Hope of earth and joy of heav’n;
Precious name! Oh, how sweet!
Hope of earth and joy of heav’n

I love the way “heav’n” is one syllable, too, but the main theme is Jesus’ name. There are verses that tell us how important His name is:

And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. (Matthew 18:5 KJV)

Now if you think children aren’t that important, how about:

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:20 KJV)

Of course, that’s preceded by agreeing here on earth. How many people are you able to agree with here on earth? If not here, how will we agree in heaven? If we have to change to do it there, why not change and do it here? Yes – even with people with whom we think we cannot agree. Try gathering in His name, none other.

Sounds to me that non-Christians, doing something in His name have rewards:

For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward. (Mark 9:41 KJV)

Now there are some people who will use this verse for their own purposes:

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. (John 14:14 KJV)

Without taking into consideration the preceding verse:

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (John 14:13 KJV)

Who is in the best position to know what will or want glorify God? Yep – that’s the only answer. God knows. That’s why it’s best to include a commitment Jesus suggested:

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (Matthew 6:9-10 KJV)

He also used it in His prayer:

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:39 KJV)

He did not get a positive answer, but wasn’t hesitant about asking again:

He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. (Matthew 26:42 KJV)

Most of us are not asked to die for others, so why can’t we use those words with that precious name?
There is one tiny caveat, too:

For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. (Matthew 24:5 KJV)

When should we expect this to happen?

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. (Matthew 24:6-8 KJV)

In this 24th chapter, Jesus has left the temple and is answering His disciples’ question about “When? How will we know?” Stick close to that precious name, seeking our Father’s will, and know that the end is not yet. We have work to do in His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)