Saturday, December 27, 2014

Broken Hearts

temp
We are a society of the soon-to-be obsolete. The roads we build to alleviate traffic are filled as soon as the construction signs are down. The clothing worn last spring must be changed into the new styles that will come out this spring. Our economy moves forward on planned obsolescence. New homes are an investment to be left as soon as new designs are available. Even our relationships Рheadlines tell us marriage is pass̩ and celebrities teach how to move on to new relationships without rancor.

It doesn’t work, does it? We are always wounded in some way when we toss out the old (which may or may not be debt free) simply because there is something new.

I almost used another graphic – a photo of the cars in Cuba. They are not the same on the inside, though, as when they were new. The appearance is the 1950’s, or earlier, but mechanical changes have been made. They were maintained. Their brokenness healed:

He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. (Psalms 147:3 KJV)

That’s the verse on the above graphic, but it’s not the only one that tells us about God’s ability to restore:

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (Psalms 23:1-6 KJV)

I like another Psalm that speaks of restoration:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. (Psalms 51:10-12 KJV)

My Bible tells me when this was written:
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.
Theirs was a very broken relationship – both broke God’s law, with death as a consequence. Both Uriah and David’s child died. Yes, David knew about restoration and strongly desired God’s presence in his life.

He also understood that restoration requires change – not replacement with new, but restoration of the true. According to the Pulpit Commentary:
He prays that God would cleanse him from his sins and the defilement he had contracted by them (Psa_51:7): “Purge me with hyssop; that is, pardon my sins, and let me know that they are pardoned, that I may be restored to those privileges which by sin I have forfeited and lost.”
David was very aware of God’s requirements:

For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Psalms 51:16-17 KJV)

Sin does not always end with a broken spirit, broken nor contrite heart. Realization of sin and its consequences comes with a relationship with God. Build that, and He will heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)