Sunday, November 30, 2014

Waves

temp
This graphic is a screen capture, cropped from a much larger photo of a powerful wave. There’s no biblical application I found in the photo, but it does remind me of grief – the power and the crushing ability grief has in our lives, and there are plenty of examples of grief in the Bible.

I cannot imagine the grief Adam and Eve experienced:

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. (Genesis 3:23-24 KJV)

There is no returning to Eden, for them or for us. We don’t even have their memory of being with God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, (Genesis 3:8b)

What we feel is the loss of loved ones, always stronger during holidays when families are usually at their closest. I can remember Christmas with my parents. That ceased in 1995 when my Mom went home to be with our Lord and again in 2000 for my Dad. I cannot imagine the waves of grief for a spouse, for a child, but I see the pain in family and friends.

How do we handle these waves of grief? I don’t know about others, but for me, it’s laying burdens on my Lord.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 KJV)

This is the same Lord who promised us a Comforter:

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:15-18 KJV)

He did not leave us comfortless, and the Comforter has specific responsibilities:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:26-27 KJV)

The Holy Ghost, even the Spirit of truth, is with us to teach us and to bring Christ’s words to us. In return, we get peace. Not the peace we’re always seeking  in this world (and seem never to reach) but God’s peace:

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7 KJV)

There’s the true answer – Jesus, Christ, Son of God, Prince of Peace – and so many other names, including Lamb of God. That’s how I work through the waves of grief, which are just as real as that one in the graphic. Strong enough to knock us down, drag us under, and pull us back - without the strength we gain from our Lord. May He provide that same peace to all who seek and need Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)