Friday, November 7, 2014

In The Ark

temp
Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. (Genesis 6:14-15 KJV)

I had the privilege of knowing Pastor Jason Pugh as a teen and through his college years. Even though he has moved away to take a church of his own, it remains a pleasure to read his thoughts, including one posted last Thursday:
The structure of the ark is also a type of Christ and salvation in that it was designed to float rather than sail. You see the passengers on the ark had no capabilities of sailing the ark; the ark was in the complete control of God. In like manner the way of salvation is wholly of grace and wholly of God. Man does not sail the ship of salvation. Man’s salvation is not dependent upon him skillfully sailing through the flood waters of judgment by his merited works, but rather he is called to come to the ark, he is sealed in the ark, and he rests in the ark as God shelters him.
The Bible does not mention how people spoke to Noah about his activity. It doesn’t tell us they argued with him, nor does it mention they ignored him. I wish It did, but we’re just told that Noah did as he was commanded, as did his family, and they were saved as the waters rose.

I believe that Pastor Pugh has given a beautiful analogy and it reminds me of several scriptures:

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13 KJV)

I like that John was concerned about our knowledge of eternal life. I like that he wanted us to know what happens when we believe. He repeats the thought often in his books, even in Jesus’ words:

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3 KJV)

That’s Christ, giving thanks to God before He died for us. Then there’s this one that Paul wrote to Timothy – I can’t repeat it, though, without breaking into song once I get to:  “For I know whom …..”:

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV)

My Lord has shown me over and over again that He provides – we do not earn:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)

I am persuaded, too:

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)