Friday, September 26, 2014

Motes and Beams

temp
Judge not, that ye be not judged. (Matthew 7:1 KJV)

Non-believers have taken this verse for their very own, often using to justify actions that the Bible tells us is against God’s will. It would appear they are repeating what they’ve heard, not studying to see how it is applied.

It is as though they are stuck in one spot, unable to move forward, even to the next verse Jesus spoke:

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Matthew 7:2 KJV)

That verse tells me to be very cautious when applying judgment, but does not tell me never to make a judgment. If I were to set my own standards based on personal opinions or current social mores, I will be judged by others based on those same standards. I pray that I make judgments on God’s word simply because He is my ultimate judge.

Oh, I know I will be judged in between.now and the time I kneel before His throne. Some will judge me by current socio-political customs, and I will fail to meet their standards. I know that. I am pro-life, pro-biblical-marriage and pro-stewardship. Polls tell us those are no longer socially nor politically correct.

We all need to continue reading in Matthew 7:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? (Matthew 7:3-4 KJV)

I really like today’s graphic illustration of the mote/beam. It does have a small problem, though. If the person on the left removes the beam before instructing the person on the right, it appears the mote will be removed, too. That’s not what Jesus described.

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. (Matthew 7:5 KJV)

The beam was to be removed – then the person would be able to help remove the still existing mote.

Yes, Christians should be very concerned that there are no beams interfering with their judgment. We must be aware of our errors and allow God to cleans them:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10 KJV)

We must be aware that our sins do separate us from God, where we feel the most joy:

Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. (Psalms 51:11-12 KJV)

Then we can move on to seeing clearly how to help others with motes:

Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. (Psalms 51:13 KJV)

Do not, however, wait for perfection – other than that in our Lord. We will reach for it – not reach it in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)