Monday, July 7, 2014

The Name In The Book

temp
Do you know what a canker is? Totally not pleasant, yet used to describe Hymenaeus and Philetus.  One we’ve heard of before:

Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. (1 Timothy 1:19-20 KJV)

Both entries contain descriptions I would not like applied to me. Philetus is only mentioned once. There are other examples in the Bible – such as Balaam, first shown as being against God in Numbers 22, but we find him used as a bad example in Deuteronomy 23, Joshua 13 and 24, Nehemiah 13, Micah 6, 2 Peter 2, Jude and Revelation 2. I would never want my name remembered for centuries as being against God!!

There is a book I want my name in – and I believe it is there:

And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. (Philippians 4:3 KJV)

That book is referenced several times in Revelation, beginning with Jesus’ words:

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. (Revelation 3:5 KJV)

That’s why I want my name in that book – and I believe it’s there because Jesus came to seek and save the lost. That’s me!!

Remember me mentioning consequences in the past week? Here’s why that’s important:

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (Revelation 20:12 KJV)

What’s in there? Well, we’re told:

A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. (Matthew 12:35-37 KJV)

What words of ours are already in that book? Everything in our past. What will be entered from this day forward? Everything in our future. Today we can be more aware of what’s written by our name in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)