Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Not My Fault …

PottersWheel
. . .  God made me this way. Haven’t we read that reasoning for a person’s actions – probably used it ourselves? Paul addresses that very question:

For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? (Romans 9:17-20 KJV)

Job – a man perfect, upright and God-fearing - resisted God’s will, to the point that God asked and Job answered:

Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said, Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it. Then Job answered the LORD, and said, Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. (Job 40:1-4 KJV)

I believe Esther might not have seen God’s hand in where she was – until Mordecai’s faith helped her understand that placement was important:

For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? (Esther 4:14 KJV)

Who are we to tell God, “You made me this way so I can’t do as you ask,” when He’s told us:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13 KJV)

I see that “way to escape” as God’s sovereignty, not our abilities. His grace, not our works. Unlike other religions in our world, Christianity teaches our salvation is totally dependent upon God:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10 KJV)

We were created to do good works – which will display our faith, as James tells us:

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:17-18 KJV)

However God made us – and we’re all very, very different -  once we understand that He did make us, perhaps we can accept ourselves as His children. With His guidance, we can accomplish our given task – to love our Lord and do His good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)