Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Man’s Steps

temp
I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. (Psalms 37:25 KJV)

Boy, that first part is truth about me!! Even I have come to accept how far past "middle age" I've reached. And I can give testimony about that second part, too. God provides for His children - when they are in His will, but his children can stumble. David addresses that a few verses ahead of this:

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. (Psalms 37:23-24 KJV)

The Pulpit Commentary says this about this entire Psalm:
The whole poem is grave, quiet, equable, devoid of excitement or lyric fervour. It is unlike David's other compositions, but may be his, as asserted in the title, and may be the only composition which we possess of his belonging to his old age (verse 25).
Age does make us more reflective, looking at past experiences instead of planning years ahead. A good many people ten years older than I am are in full-care facilities. A good many others left this life and we’ve attended funerals for people younger than ourselves, too. I pray our experiences are passed down a generation or two, though those two generations away seem disinclined to listen. They are two busy with plans and preparations for the rest of their lives, while we’re explaining that the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord.

That is such a biblical truth that it pains me I didn’t see it when I was their age. I didn’t pay attention to the object lesson, either:
The object of the poem is to reassure men whose minds are disturbed by the fact of the frequent prosperity of the wicked, to convince them that in every case retribution will overtake the ungodly man at the last, and to impress upon them that the condition of the righteous, even when they suffer, is far preferable to that of the wicked, whatever prosperity they may enjoy.
Yes, the wicked prosper – sometimes for all of their lives:

I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree. Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found. (Psalms 37:35-36 KJV)

There will come a time when I cannot be found. Many will believe I simply died and ceased to exist. I don’t believe that because I trust what I believe God inspired men across the ages to write; what has been preserved in one book, God’s journey with mankind. If I’m wrong, none of us will ever know it. However, if I’m right, it not only makes a difference in this world but in the next. The Bible tells me so:

. . .  for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12b KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)