Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Question. An Answer.

AwaitingPermissionCrossCard-dot-com
A friend’s blog asked the question – would you continue to blog if you had no readers?

I had to think about that for a while. I have not blogged regularly for months now, and my readership has dropped off.  Oh, yes, Blogger keeps statistics as to how many people stop by each post. It also tells me from what country the connection is made.  It does not tell me if they read the blog when they stop by, and there’s no way of knowing if they retained any of the information or picked up a Bible.

Yes, I do think about readers – not how many and seldom about specific people who might or might not stop by. I do not write these for anyone but me. When I started (years ago!!) it was on Yahoo’s 360 specifically for junior high girls in our Sunday School class. I posted preparation Bible reading and study questions for the upcoming lessons. Others began stopping by and it sort of grew as I examined Bible verses from my own point of view as I read.

I do believe the Bible has answers for our everyday questions in life. A friend posted that it was “basic information before leaving earth,” a reference to our belief in eternal life, as outlined in the Bible!

There are a multitude of translations from a variety of sources. Some are concerned with maintaining exactly what was written, even though it is translated into languages. Others paraphrase what was meant then into what they think it means today. Others (such as Thomas Jefferson’s) remove what they don’t like or can’t accept and treat it as a buffet to pick as they choose.

My own preference remains the King James version, for a number of reasons. Ask me, and I’ll explain – but I must say that the Lord is quite capable of reaching lost people through Bibles in their own language for His own purpose. He is quite capable of reaching the lost without a Bible. I simply find it comforting to spend time with the words He inspired through a vast number of writers to show us across ages that He remains the same, involved in the lives of His children.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1 KJV)

He states that:

For I am the LORD, I change not; (Malachi 3:6a KJV)

Though the verses before and after that affirmative are not a comfort to those who do not seek His will nor follow His commandments, which I continually post – reminders that help me remain close to Him:

Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.(Matthew 22:36-40 KJV)

So, my answer to the question as posed is, “Yes.” I would post if there were no readers. It makes me think deeper, research longer, seek answers to questions I have. If these are read, I pray that the readers find a question themselves, and that their Bible will provide the answer. I can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)