Friday, January 10, 2014

Medicine

temp
And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country. (Luke 4:23 KJV)

Yesterday we read about a woman whose faith was so strong that her touching His robe – in a pressing crowd of people – was felt by Jesus. And, she was healed.  This verse follows Jesus’ reading of Isaiah 6:1-2 before his hometown congregation. When the reading of the prophecy was complete, He said:

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. (Luke 4:21 KJV)

As we question His message today, that congregation questioned then:

And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son? (Luke 4:22 KJV)

Today people ask about the historical Jesus, questioning His very existence. Many pick one or two verses attributed to Him and call it religion. Others think He might have been a good philosopher, if he hadn’t become a social activist. Muslims look upon Him as a great prophet foretelling Mohammed’s arrival.

How I see Him depends on who I’m talking to and the needs of the moment. First and foremost, He is my salvation, the unspeakable gift of God whose story is told from Genesis through Revelation in the Bible.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15 KJV)

Yesterday I went back to my doctor, after feeling so much better that I almost didn’t make the appointment. He found that my ears were not as healed as they needed to be – there was a complication I had not noticed. I appreciate his close attention to my health, catching what I overlooked. I needed a bit more medication and rest.

The Great Physician does even more for my spiritual health, which is why I spend time with Him daily.

Just as the physical world is filled with germs incompatible with good health, our spiritual world is filled with temptations from a specific source:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9 KJV)

There is evil in this world. Not the germs of a labeled influenza, those are simply a part of the natural world. There is thoughtless evil making a home in the souls of those who have no hope. Hope is the result of a long process:

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: (Romans 5:1-4 KJV)

That’s medicine for my soul, and I need it even more than the medicine for my body. I need it daily, just as I need sustenance for my body. Just as we fuel our vehicles, we fuel our bodies – and we need to fuel our souls. Mine comes through Bible reading, prayer and spending time with my Lord. Thanks for sharing some of your time, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)