Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Slightly Different Hello

temp
Please refer to my earlier blog mentioning Jasmine’s Goodbye – then (if interested) see Jasmine’s follow up. I’d like to discuss her question:  Are we allowing others to guide our way?

I hope not. The only one worthy to guide our way is our Lord:

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:6 KJV)
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalms 119:105 KJV)

Actually, all of Psalms 119 is excellent reading. As Matthew Henry said, “This psalm may be considered as the statement of a believer's experience.” What I write here is NOT scripture, but my personal experience with scripture, just as Far Above Rubies has become Jasmine’s personal experiences, well beyond simply reading scripture.

I can direct you to many lovely ladies who quote scripture left and right, who can tell you specific scripture that apply to their lives – but they are not living my life and I’m not living yours. We can only tell you what it means to us, how it affects us, where we’ve missed along the way and what God means to us. That has no effect on your life – until the decision is made to make scripture an important part of your life.

Why?

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV)

And:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 KJV)

Why is this important?

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6 KJV)

I would love for each of my readers to get a Bible and a good commentary (Matthew Henry’s would be an excellent choice - see yesterday's post for a free one), check the context of those three verses and study to see how they fit together, or discern that they do not (and explain to me why that is so.) That’s why I admire the Bereans so very much:

And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:10-11 KJV)

Check to see if what is written – my words or scripture – is so! Do not accept what I say, and you have every right to question and research what the Bible says.

Our spiritual journey is personal; oh, so very personal! Remember, this is God, who walks with His children:

And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. (Genesis 3:8 KJV)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8 KJV)
And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs. And they talked together of all these things which had happened. And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them. (Luke 24:13-15 KJV)

Consider your own walk with Him.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, Phyllis. They are so full of wisdom and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment. :) I also agree that each of our walks is different and that we should know scripture and read it regularly, learning as much as possible. That way we can know if what one says is the truth. I had to learn this the hard way. I have family that believes anything certain people tell them. They think that no one would lie to them whether it be on purpose or by their own ignorance. They think the Vatican wouldn't lie and another family member thinks that any well meaning saved Christian wouldn't state something as fact if it wasn't the truth. No one could ever get them to believe that they should test everything anyone tells them with scripture to see if it is indeed the truth. I had to learn to do this in my own life after finding out I had been deceived all of my life. I'm glad I learned when I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)