Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Where Did That Come From?

logo

Yesterday I sat down in front of my computer and started to write about what Pastor said Sunday morning. It was a great sermon on Christ’s authority and power. Some where along the line was I distracted by a verse and wrote an entirely different blog – because I was reading God’s word.

I have lots of questions when I read the Bible, and I’m constantly amazed at the answers I believe God leads me to read. Oh, I’ve followed specific Bible reading plans – still do. I follow devotional books – though sometimes I read more than one day at a time.  I make notes, too, during sermons, Sunday School, meetings, when I awaken during the night. Some I never pick up again and those thoughts are never part of this blog. Yet – I never run out of subject matter because there is always another question to be answered, another application from scripture for me to consider – or actually apply!

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15 KJV)

Being well-versed in God’s word helps all of us to be ready to answer any question about the hope that is in us. Philip was:

And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went:

No indication that Philip asked, “Why? What will I be doing? Should I go alone or take someone with me? What should I pack?” He did not prepare himself to meet anyone:

and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, (Acts 8:26-27 KJV)

The man had a question in response to Philips’:

And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. (Acts 8:30-31 KJV)

Philip was prepared to discuss God’s word, ready to answer any man:

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. (Acts 8:35 KJV)

See how easy it is to flow into the presentation of Jesus, Christ, Son of God, Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world? The scriptures. That’s where all of these come from – from God’s word, that which we are to live by:

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Matthew 4:4 KJV) (Deuteronomy 8:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)