Saturday, June 1, 2013

Have You Thanked God?

There are several verses that speak of thanking God. Psalm 136:26 tells of His mercy. 1 Corinthians of Our victory in Christ. But my favorite is 2 Corinthians 8:15 - thank you, God, for your gift.

His one gift described in John 3:16 gives us all we need, eternally. We should be giving thanks to Him daily for that gift since it encompasses all we do or say once we have accepted His gift.

It allows to see past obstacles and disappointments, placing them into perspective rather than growing them into dramatic proportions. His mercy and grace sustains when those obstacles are gigantic tragedies we cannot bear alone.

Last night I feared for - and prayed for - family and friends in Oklahoma. I lived in Mustang and watched wall clouds, collar clouds and rope tornados form. I sought shelter in a school basement when Gary England's Doppler radar defined a mile-wide rotation. I know the sequence of events, the concern for separated family.

I also know the peace God offers. I don't always accept that wrapping of His comfort. It is human to embrace the fear, instead. My loss when I do. My gain when I understand He knows what I need even when my thoughts run contrary to His.

So, I give thanks this morning that our family and friends are uninjured. Some cannot, having experienced injury and loss. May God comfort them and provide the peace that does pass our understanding. May He then be thanked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)