Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Decisions, Decisions

temp
A few days ago I included a quote that held the line:
… the whole weight of their personal desires and interests would lead them to decide the question in their own favour.
I was struck by that, and how we all utilize the scriptures to make decisions favorable to our own desires, likes, dislikes.  A single scripture here or there and we can each one prove what we would like to believe, what we’ve been taught to believe or any combination thereof. Instead, we need to study God’s word as a whole. Paul did, and preached it to others.

For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. (Acts 20:27)

For me, that means when we spend time expressing God love, as shown in:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.(John 3:16)

We should take that in context, understand Jesus is speaking to a very learned Jewish scholar, and give the next two verses:

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:17-18)

We should not ignore Peter:

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

Speaking of love and God’s will also includes this verse:

But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. (2 Peter 3:7)

So, who is the ungodly man? Wouldn’t that be a person without God in their lives? Those who make life choices without considering consequences? Those who deny God? Aren’t they included in the verse:

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32-33)

This is the same Jesus who says He is the door:

I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. (John 10:9-11)

I know it’s no longer politically correct to follow the Bible, to learn its verses, practice its precepts, but I believe Jesus Christ is the son of God who died on the cross for all the sins of all mankind, but not all have believed. Not my words, but what does the Bible say will be the consequences of that disbelief?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)