Thursday, June 13, 2013

Companionship

See my lunch companion? Amid the table and chair legs is a small bird. We ate under a large shelter at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, and this little fellow was brave enough to join in.

It just wouldn't be right for an ex-Kiewit employee to go through Omaha without seeing the zoo. Absolutely, we visited the Suzanne and Walter Scott aquarium. Beautiful!! Lots of photographs, though some are spoiled by flash reflections from the glass. Somehow I hit a button that turned on date/info when viewed - I hope it doesn't show up on the finished picture.

We've seen a lot this trip, but one thing surprised me - the number of woman who have tattoos - large ones. One had a two-line poem in script from left shoulder to right along her scooped neckline. Another a tattoo from the front of her right shoulder across her back then to the front of her left shoulder - it appeared as thought it was a tattooed shawl. Most of the others were sleeve type, from shoulder down her arm. It seems to be very popular in our country now.

I worked with a young black man, raised in the UK, I do not recall his parents' country of origin, but his face bore tattooed scars of tribal origin. They were ceremonial and held meaning for the people of his tribe. I often wonder what meaning lies behind the ones I see displayed now.

I am also reminded of the law:

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:28 KJV)

I know - we are under grace, not the law. There is nothing I can do to increase the salvation God has given me out if His love. Perhaps I see it as a matter of respect.

Back to companionship - we've been blessed with good companions in this trip. We've known each other for several years, but living so closely together for two weeks we've become closer, gaining knowledge about every day activities for hours in end. It truly is a blessing to see friendships grow stronger along the way.

I'm reminded of how the Bible describes Adam and Enoch walking with God in companionship. Please know that remains available to us today. God remains the same now as He was then.

God lights my way, directs my path and is by my side always. Shouldn't I seek to know the whys and hows from His word? Isn't that a good way to show companionship?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)