Saturday, May 18, 2013

Objectify

temp
The question came up: Are these blogs written for someone in particular?

Well, not so much. What I write each day is something I’ve thought about. This blog is dedicated to putting Bible reading into every day situations – making application of verses to my life. However, I do think about how specific readers might perceive the subject.

Part of the problem with the internet, personal blogs, social networking, comment sections, etc. is that we all tend to treat others online as objects, never considering what we would say if we were sitting face-to-face communicating with a loved one, friend or slight acquaintance. Because of this, there are some very uncharitable postings.

Most of the mainstream media sites have lost my use of their Comments section due to the abject hatred displayed. Words and concepts unacceptable in person-to-person discussions are thrown at opponents, without consideration for how they would sound aloud. Sadly, this is true of some social media postings.

A very kind aged woman ‘Shared’ on Facebook a cartoon that was funny.  Unfortunately, the title of the page originating the cartoon was a totally unacceptable pejorative curse word which she overlooked. If it were spoken aloud among her friends, there would have been gasps of disbelief, but displayed on a screen?

Because of this internet culture, I do think of specific people as I type. I think of a reprobate Christian, an avowed atheist, a faithful deacon, a curious youth, a Sunday School girl (for whom these writings began.) I think of what words I would use in talking to them – how the conversation would flow, even try to anticipate some of their questions and seek to answer them as they occur. I use the word “Readers”, but I put specific faces, actual names, into these conversations.

Why? Because I really do talk this way and hold such conversations. I would be more than happy to sit down with anyone and discuss any subject I’ve placed on this site. You see, I believe the scripture:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15)

How can I be ready to give answers if I haven’t studied the subject? How can I answer every man if I haven’t considered specific people? How can I tell anyone about my hope unless I can explain its source?

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Give a voice to the backslidden. Put a face to the unsaved. See the smile of the servant. Enjoy the curiosity in the eye of a child. Do not allow the objectification of the world turn us into “us” or “them”. Do not speak or write to a blank mask. Above all, consider who hears all:

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. (Psalms 5:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)