Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Moving Testimony


I’ve never included a video in a blog – always worried whether or not it would play correctly. A reader or two I know are on dial-up and I’ve taken their needs into consideration.  This video is a bit different. It’s worth the time (at least fifteen minutes) it takes to view. It’s worth the time it takes to consider the many questions raised when it is finished.

To see it on YouTube, click here.

It reminds me so much of Paul’s conversion:

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: (Philippians 3:4)

The trust we place on works is so wrong. Afshin Javid’s resume as a devout Shi’ite Muslim could match Paul’s resume as a Jewish Pharisee:

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (Philippians 3:5-6)

I was particularly impressed with the confusion following Javid’s first encounter with the use of Jesus’ name. Muslim’s are very aware of Him as a prophet, denying only His deity, death and resurrection. I was also struck by Islam’s uncertainty of a believer’s place in heaven.

I am so grateful to our Lord for providing for His children:

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:11-13)

That does not come without responsibilities:

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. (1 John 5:2)

I do enjoy listening to the testimony of people who have come to our Lord. Did you notice Javid was aware of his sins without Jesus having to list them? It reminded me of:

And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? (Matthew 9:3-5)

And the reason:

But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (Matthew 9:6a)

When Javid gives the Farsi expression, “As easy as drinking water,” I thought of:

But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. (John 4:14)

To hear Isaiah’s verse as part of Javid’s conversion was the most moving.

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. (Isaiah 6:8)

We, too, are to do His will. With whom are we sharing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)