Saturday, April 13, 2013

Waiting At The Gate?

temp
Airline employees have a nice perk – fly at a cost based on fees, but it must be on a stand-by basis. That places them at an airport gate, waiting to see if all the paying passengers show up, in case there might be a seat available. Any employee, family and some friends can take advantage of this perk. Many opted not to due to the inconvenience. My Dad worked for American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at one of their maintenance bases. There were a large number of employees, and limited seats. My brother-in-law worked for them years later, fewer flights, fewer seats. Longer stand-by time. This graphic reminded me of that travel.

I thought of how that applies to a Christian’s life, too. There are times in this life when I wish I was waiting at the gate for the next flight to our Lord. I look forward to the trip and It is one of the perks of salvation. I have had my travel arrangements confirmed and a place has been prepared:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:1-3 KJV)

Care must be taken, however, that I don’t spend time waiting at the gate for the transportation. No matter how firm my faith might be that transportation has been arranged, I have assigned tasks that really should be completed before arriving at that gate:

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:17-18 KJV)

If I simply spend time waiting at the gate, my tasks are not finished. Jesus knew when His were:

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. (John 17:4 KJV)

As did Paul:

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: (2 Timothy 4:7 KJV)

I really don’t know what task anyone else is supposed to complete. I don’t know where anyone is on their narrow road to the strait gate:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Matthew 7:13-14 KJV)

I just know what I’m supposed to do:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15 KJV)

God will let me know when to wait at the gate for my journey. In the meantime, I have work to do.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah... I like waiting at the gate too ...for our ride home. but you are right...we do have much to do until His time. he did say occupy until I come. Good reminder...even in these perilous times.... to not get ahead of God. Oh but I am sooo homesick about now.

    good one, Phyllis

    blessings
    patrina <")>><

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)