Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Imagine Their Meeting

DomerMaye1949
My parents in 1949

Monday I attended a Baptist funeral – a celebration of life as it continues. It reminded me a lot of my parents.

For more than twenty years, my Dad was caregiver for my Mom who had ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease. Monday’s service was for a lovely lady who spent the last years of her life with Alzheimer’s, being cared for by her husband, too.

Following Mom’s home-going, Dad attended his annual high school reunion. When you are in your 80’s and graduated from a rural school that was eventually closed, changes over the years include combining with other such schools in the county. There was a good sized group, and he was asked to give the blessing for their dinner.

He explained later that he began the prayer with his head bowed, but inexplicably lifted it and saw Mom standing before him.  I won’t go into the full description, just to say he was very detailed in what he saw – some aspects expected, some not.

I was not given such a blessing after his home-going, though I have no doubt his favorite verse was fulfilled:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (John 14:2)

I thought about all of that Monday at the home-going of this other wife, as deeply loved, and cared for, by her own husband. I can imagine their meeting, unbounded by time, taking place within eternity and the sharing of knowledge recently discovered.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

They may sit for a while under the Tree of Life, beside the River of Life, sharing the stories of blessings they know. Dad may tell Mom of the delicious Israel melons the new arrival’s husband gave him during Men’s Breakfasts on Saturday mornings. Mom missed out on those fellowship times, they’ll be new for her.

They may talk about how their families are joined by their love of and service to the Lord who provided that very tree and river. Since time has so little meaning in eternity, it may seem but moments before they are joined by their families, rejoicing as Jesus instructed:

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (John 14:28)

You see, I believe what is promised:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

I also believe what is promised in one of my favorite verses:

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:3)

Please, imagine yourself joining in with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)