Sunday, March 10, 2013

Maturity Levels


temp
My boss gave me this book when he gave me the most interesting job I’ve ever had. There are many things in here that helped me in that job, but a lot of them are applicable to life, especially Christian life, too.
One of the first is found on page five, Process Maturity Levels:
    • Initial
    • Repeatable
    • Defined
    • Managed
    • Optimized
It reminds me of Paul’s:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (1 Corinthians 13:11)

Becoming a man is a process, too. Unfortunately, not everyone gets beyond the Initial steps. As Humphrey puts it: “Until the process is under statistical control, orderly progress in process improvement is not possible.” Think of a toddler’s progress in walking – there is measurable control before there is an orderly walking.

Now, apply those principles to a Christian’s growth. Can’t be done until there is measurable discipline in studying God’s word. Without learning more, there is no Repeatable progress. Staying as a new Christian memorizing only John 3:16 will not provide growth.

The church, even though it has become a pejorative, as organized religion has Defined the “process as a basis for consistent implementation and better understanding. At this point advanced technology can usefully be introduced.”  Now that’s where Humphrey and I agree, though he’s talking software and I’m talking about Christian growth. Maybe it is the software technician in me that appreciates “consistent implementation and better understanding,” but that’s the goal a church has for new Christians.

Now we get to Managed – Humphrey tells us “this is when the most significant quality improvements begin.” Applied to Christians, this is when we grow fruit, when we allow God to become the manager of our lives and we heed the plans He has.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Then we really display the fruits of the Spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)

At this point we can begin Optimizing – our foundation is firm and we provide favorable results dealing with all people, not just those we like. A truly optimized Christian loves everyone:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:34-35)

That’s what we’re supposed to teach the world – best done by example:

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:20)

Now, that’s the gospel truth!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)