Saturday, March 16, 2013

Coming Home

temp
Thursday our pastor, his wife and another couple from our church made their preparations to return from Israel. It looks rather small in this satellite view, a tiny sliver of land among the nations of the world. From this photo I can understand why David, in the Judean wilderness, would describe it:

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; (Psalms 63:1)

The two couples have been with a group touring the Holy Land, but I have no idea what their itinerary has been. I would hope they have seen many places where men have built churches denoting activities in His life – the birth in Bethlehem, first miracle in Capernaum, the well in Samaria where a woman recognized Him and changed her life.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25-26)

I would imagine they visited Galilee where He called fishermen to be fishers of men, and they succeeded.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. (Matthew 4:19-20)

They will not, however, visit a grave that holds any portion of His body.

And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. (Mark 16:6)

I do hope they have a stop at Caesarea. The floor Paul stood upon before Felix and said:

But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. (Acts 24:14-15)

Felix listened, and trembled:

And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. (Acts 24:25)

But – there was no record of there being a convenient season for Felix. Christ, along with His message, is often deemed inconvenient.

Perhaps their trip included Masada, the last redoubt of the Jews before the Romans crushed their rebellion. The last portion of a nation until almost two millennia pass and the state of Israel is recreated. It did not exist when these two visiting couples were born.

They come home to us with experiences to share, photographs to show, and we will learn more about the people and the land God chose to spread His word and be the example to all mankind. I’m looking forward to that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)