Sunday, February 24, 2013

Saturday Nights

temp
It’s not unusual for avid non-Christians to vilify or even demonize Christians and their beliefs.  I try to ignore them. When several come together and spread their lack of understanding around the world, that’s very hard to do – especially when a portion of my money is used for that spreading. Therefore, I will change my shopping habits until such time as I’m no longer funding projects such as SNL and Quentin Tarantino’s satire of Jesus Christ, my Lord.

For a moment, take some literary license and substitute another figure for our Lord in this ‘revenge thriller.’ Would the author/actors place our president there, bent on revenge? Why? Have they placed their family members or any other religious figure in such a vengeful satire? Why?

Obviously they have no valid concept of our beliefs. Maybe they have not read in the Bible that those who participated in His crucifixion were forgiven by Him while on the cross?

Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. (Luke 23:34)

All of those involved in this production must agree with the definition of satire (the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly) – I’m wondering if they consider Christianity simply folly, or do they believe it to be a vice?

Of course, what they read in the Bible does not track with the path they’ve chosen for their lives. Why should they read such as:

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

When they can’t get past:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:37-40)

Frankly, there are some who call themselves ‘Christian’ who cannot, either.

I pray that those involved in this presentation - and other satire directed at our Christian ‘folly’  - do come to understand how painful it is to hear of such disrespect for another’s religion. Maybe they will come to understand why we wish to avoid them, which I actually do.

SNL’s disrespect for values had me tuning them out years ago. Mr. Tarentino’s penchant for foul language, vileness and violence assured my lack of support when I had only seen previews of his films. Both SNL and Mr. Tarentino have been wildly successful without me, and that’s just fine.

This time, however, their pointing to my folly was paid for by retail establishments I use. I provided a bit of profit for Sears and J C Penney’s. Therefore, I contributed to their advertising in this skit. That I will no longer do as long as these establishments condone satire to ridicule my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)