Wednesday, February 13, 2013

God

temp
I find it regrettable when someone’s concept of God is too small to believe Him capable of creating the universe, even beyond what we know of it, and still be capable of loving me as an individual. My God is not only able to do all of that, but He loves you, too.

I regret seeing Him portrayed in art, even art as beautiful as Michelangelo’s, in unbiblical ways. The above graphic displays Him in an elderly human way, when not only is He timeless, but His glory is overwhelming. Moses did not know that when he asked:

And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. (Exodus 33:18)

God’s reply tells us that was at the least an inappropriate question:

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: (Exodus 33:20-22)

How Fanny J. Crosby must have envisioned that when she wrote “He Hiddeth My Soul.” She knew that seeing God was best done without eyesight:
“It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank Him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.”
Do we see her blindness a tragedy? A disfigurement? A lessening of her life? A disability? When she worshipped a God capable of speaking a universe into existence, but He would not heal her in order for her to see it, are we angered?

Why must God be explainable in human terms, in human descriptions, when we’re told time and again He is spiritual?

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:21-24)

I’m reading 'Tortured for Christ' by Richard Wurmbrand, whose conversion story is told on two pages and can be compacted to: “A Christian prayed for a Jew to come so he could teach him Christ. A Jew prayed for God to show Himself. They met in Romania and prayers were answered.” My God is capable of answering those prayers just as He is capable of spanning the universe with His voice:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

Start there before telling me why He could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)