Friday, January 4, 2013

Make Them Run

temp
… Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. (Habakkuk 2:2 KJV)

That was used in a message from Joe McGee Ministries that my niece reposted on FB. I don’t know another thing about his ministry – but I really like this verse.

Yes, I read it this past year when I read the Bible through – but it didn’t strike me then the way it did this week. Write the vision. Make it plain. So plain that when it’s read it makes the reader run!

Wow, wouldn’t anyone like to write such a message? Make it unambiguous, plain as the nose on your face, no question about it, understandable. I haven’t read many of those, and the ones I have read come from the Bible.

My favorites are “God created” and “God so loved the world.” Those are pretty plain to me. “Without him was not any thing made.” Very clear, isn’t it?

We know almost nothing about Habakkuk beyond the three chapters under his name. He does not give his tribe, nor his father’s name. We don’t know the town he called home, though many of the prophets were so identified. He spends the first chapter pretty much complaining that the Lord wasn’t paying attention to spoiling and violence, strife and contention. Judgment was required. Sounds fairly modern, doesn’t it. After complaining, Habakkuk writes:

I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. (Habakkuk 2:1 KJV)

After railing against God, Habakkuk is going to watch what happens – even though he knows that there’s a strong likelihood he’ll be punished. Instead, he’s given instructions:

And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. (Habakkuk 2:2-4 KJV)

The vision is written. It is plain. It hasn’t happened yet, but it is the truth, not a lie. Wait for it. Live by faith.

Did I miss something? Isn’t that the message? And, isn’t it pretty much the same message Christ left with us? There is more to come, that’s the truth. Wait for it and live by faith. Why do we have such a hard time with this truth – isn’t it basically the same message Abraham received? Why do we just have to have it NOW!!!!!?

O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy. (Habakkuk 3:2 KJV)

Can we pray Habakkuk’s prayer? Can we wait, justly, in faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)