Sunday, January 13, 2013

In Between


Yesterday morning I wrote on a Status that it was an in between day. Today is, too. It is a day where sadness continues, but joy is evident.

Thursday afternoon I stopped by the hospital to visit with a family. My friend in the bed would not be able to acknowledge our presence, and the family was there to add to everyone’s comfort that her passing was peaceful. Now, husband, parents, siblings, extended family and friends mourn the loss of her company. Monday we will gather to remember the past and celebrate the future.

Why? Because of words Jesus spoke so long ago, yet live eternally:

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. (John 14:28-29)

His death, as it does for all mankind, did come to pass. It took a while, but His disciples were able to rejoice because they did believe. They came to understand what He said to Nicodemus:

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:14-16)

Why did John write all that he did?

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:31)

Knowing – and believing – His promises doesn’t mean our sorrow is gone. We miss her. There’s an emptiness when we look to where she would be seen. She will not be faithfully attending church services. She won’t be there, reaching out to hug as people enter the door, to ask how we’ve been and chat about family. Her husband will, and he will receive hugs this Sunday, along with expressions of love, comfort and remembrance.

Monday we will meet in the church again to celebrate her life and her love for the Lord. The gospel will be given with promises for tomorrow:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:1-3)

(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:7-8)

May God bless and comfort those who love and miss her.

2 comments:

  1. My condolences on the loss of your friend. Bless her memory. I hope she is honored on Monday.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . As YOU have done here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)