Saturday, December 29, 2012

Let Me Introduce “Henry”

MRI-opticNerve
No – that’s not my MRI – it’s a screen capture. I captured it because the arrow points to the right optic nerve, and my “Henry” resides directly below that red arrow in my own MRI. I wrote of three Meningiomas back in August, and said there would be a follow-up. Did the MRI a couple of weeks ago and met with the Neurologist this past Wednesday. Two of the white blips on the film appear to have calcified – no problems.

Then, there is Henry. I wanted to give it a name and First Daughter came up with Henry. We do not have a Henry in the family, so hopefully no one will become offended, ‘cause this Henry doesn’t belong and is going to go away.

Henry is a tumor in my central nervous system – i.e. my brain. He sets behind my right eye, close to the optic nerve and just a short way from the interior carotid artery. He doesn’t belong there and we’ve been referred to a surgeon to discuss Henry’s eviction.

Now, there are several good things that have occurred:  1) we have visual confirmation that brain matter does exist in my head. Certain members of my family were a bit concerned that there was little indication of that; 2) Henry was found before he interfered with my eyesight; 3) Henry can be evicted at this point with reasonable assurance that he will cause no damage – he’s not showing a spurt of growth.

Naturally, I can see a biblical application to this situation. There’s always the possibility of a “Henry” in our lives, even after we’ve experienced salvation and the remission of our sins. We continue to sin, simply because we are not perfect. Oh – we attempt to justify our actions as NOT really sins. And if we can’t get that far, we point out the sins of others who are so very much WORSE than we are.

What we need to do is evict the “Henrys” out of our lives, no matter how difficult it may seem. They will grow, other sins will get thrown in there along the way, and soon they’ll fester. The Psalmist shared some thoughts:

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalms 139:23-24 KJV)

That is a powerful prayer that can have awesome results. Be prepared, though, to be uncomfortable as we’re shown the errors in our hearts and in our thoughts. Be prepared for the removal of these Henrys from our lives. There could be a bit of pain, a modicum of swelling and it’s absolutely necessary to admit to all of it to get it gone, and see there is no room for a repeat.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. (Luke 11:24 KJV)

Are you ready to have the Lord know your heart? Ready to face any wicked way He might find? Just as getting rid of my physical '”Henry” is necessary, we’d best get rid of our spiritual ones, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)